Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] was born in the Netherlands in about 1599 and was from the village of Winkel, about 15 miles northwest of the port city of Hoorn. (He was sometimes referred to as “Jacob Walichsen van Hoorn”).
Jacob’s parents are unknown. However, the Walichs family appears as landowners of considerable extent in the village of Winkel as early as 1326, when their lands were bounded in part by the Walichsdyke
There are those who believe that Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] visited New Netherland as a deckhand on a Dutch vessel in about 1618, but there is no documentation yet. Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] was definitely at New Netherland before 1630 and was “among the very first farmers to permanently locate in New Netherland”.
Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and partner Claes Cornelissen Swits farmed Bouwerie No. 5 on Manhattan Island from 1620-something (1624 maybe) through 1636 when their lease expired and both men left that bouwerie. On 02 Jul 1631 Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer submitted a 01 May 1630 inventory that listed by each farm and tenant name an inventory of farm animals present at that date. Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and his partner’s Bouwerie No. 5 had 6 saddle horses, 2 stallions, 6 cows, 2 bulls, 22 sheep, and it noted that they were “successful in breeding cattle” there.
Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and his brother Symon Walichsen [van Der Bilt] were sent aboard the ship den Soutbergh to arrive in the Netherlands in April of 1633 by Patroon Kiliaen V\van Rensselaer to get more stock for the Dutch West India Company (DWIC) farms. The Patroon must have held the brothers in high esteem as it seems curious that he sent tenant farmers on such an errand. At Hoorn the brothers joined the Dutch Church for the time they were in The Netherlands on 18 December 1633 by certificate from their New Netherlands church. Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle]’s partner Claes Cornelissen Swits managed the farm on Manhattan Island at Bouwerie No. 5 in his absence. Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] returned to New Netherlands in 1635 aboard the ship de Konig David.
Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle], after the lease at Bouwerie No. 5 ran out in 1636, signed a contract with Patroon Kiliaen Rensselaer 15 August 1636 to settle and farm at Rensselaerswyck (later Greenbush), which was up the Hudson River 150 miles from Manhattan and on the opposite shore from Albany. It is unclear how long Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] farmed at Rensselaerswyck, but it is apparent that he was away from the farm for periods of time.
He was at New Amsterdam on 12 January 1639 to testify concerning the captain’s behavior on the trip back from the Netherlands in 1635 aboard de Konig David. Included in his testimony was that he was 40 or 41 years old at that time and that he was a resident of New Netherland.
On 29 August 1641 Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] was selected as one of the Twelve Men representing Manhattan, Breuckelen, and Pavonia] to advise Governor Kieft at Manhattan concerning Indian matters. This board only existed for about a year.
In 1642 it is likely that Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] made another trip back to the Netherlands (it may have been protracted for some currently unknown reason) and he seems to have returned to New Netherland by about 1648. Records for these voyages have not yet been found.
While he was in the Netherlands, Jacob married Tryntje Jacobse on 28 December 1642 in Hoorn, Netherlands.
In 1649 Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] petitioned the DWIC for permission to settle on the Fresh (Connecticut) River and was sadly refused such permission. On 28 July 1649 there was a demonstration concerning this New Amsterdam court petition reported.
On 12 May 1650 Jacob Walichsen [van Winkel] was at the Rensselaerswyck farm with his family and he was preparing to move out of that colony. Perhaps he was ready to leave the tenant or leasing system of the DWIC and look into owning his own land. Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer reportedly offered Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] his choice of several farms as he tried to entice him to stay in the Rensselaerswyck Colony, but Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] was determined to go. He got permission to move to Manhattan on 01 October 1650 and his infant son Jacob Jacobsen [van Winkle] was baptized there at the New Amsterdam “fort church” on 10 October 1650.
Also, in 1650 Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and his wife joined the New Amsterdam Dutch Reformed Church. Their 6 children all initially went by “Jacobsen”, but later went by “van Winkle”.
On 23 October 1654 Director-General Peter Stuyvesant issued a patent or grant of 25 morgens of land to Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] at Pavonia “across the North River, between Gemoenpa and the Kil van Kol” (now Bergen Point, Jersey City, NJ), and Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and his family soon settled there. This grant was confirmed for Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle]’s heirs by Governor Carteret on 31 March 1668 (this document listed the original owner as “Jacob Wallingen van Hoorn”). Pavonia was destroyed by Indians in September of 1655 and Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] and his family went to Fort Amsterdam to wait for the Indian trouble to settle down.
Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] was admitted as a lesser burgher of new Amsterdam on 17 April 1657. The family is believed to have gone back to Pavonia in 1657 and Jacob Walichsen [van Winkle] is believed to have died there.